For instance, in today’s day-to-day life, we have minimal or no time to cook food at home. Our body is subject to a large number of toxic substances by frequent consumption of junk food, sedentary lifestyle, and exposure to pollutants from the surrounding environment. Additionally, these toxic wastes builds-up in the liver. It may be difficult to eliminate them. This may further cause harm to other important organs. Hence, it is vital to detoxify the organ and include the right and essential nutrients which may help eliminate the toxins from the body.
For a healthy liver, switch to a cleansing diet by eliminating processed foods, caffeine, alcohol, and artificial sweeteners, and limit the intake of red meat. Some of the best detoxifying foods include fresh fruits, vegetables, lemons, carrots, tomatoes, papayas, cucumbers, beets, fish, whole grains, etc. Some of the herbs and spices like cinnamon, black pepper, cumin, turmeric, dandelion, etc are useful to flush out the impurities from the liver.
Best Foods for a Healthy Liver
1. Garlic: Super detox food, garlic is composed of nutrients that protect the liver and eliminate toxins. is rich in allicin, an antioxidant that protects the body from oxidative damage. In reality, it stimulates the liver to produce the enzymes that can flush out harmful substances. Allowing the garlic to sit for 5-10 minutes after being chopped, activates the allicin. However, overheating destroys its qualities. Take 1 clove of raw garlic in the morning every day or 1-2 teaspoons of minced/sliced/pasted garlic in cooked food per day.
2. Green tea: An excellent source of antioxidants, green tea purifies and helps it flush out toxins. Drink 1-2 cups of organic green tea per day.
3. Turmeric: Turmeric protects and regenerates the liver when it is damaged. It is the most powerful detoxifier. It stimulates the production of bile that deeply cleanses and detracts from the liver ducts. Take 1-3 g of turmeric powder/paste can be used per day for a healthy liver.
4. Avocado: Avocado is an excellent source of antioxidants. Their purifying and detoxifying power actually helps the liver to repair itself after excesses. Provided that avocados are a source of healthy fats that have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Since the nonalcoholic fatty liver is caused due to faulty lifestyle choices, the anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties of avocado are highly beneficial in preventing it. Therefore, consume 2-5 slices, 2-3 times per week.
5. Grapefruit: Grapefruit, rich in vitamin C and antioxidants helps to detoxify the liver and allows it to burn fat rather than store it. Significantly, it prevents organ damage as well. Consume one grapefruit a day.
6. Lemon: Lemon is a natural diuretic. It promotes the elimination of impurities present in our body. Drinking lemon juice can increase the amount of urine in our body and therefore eliminate toxins faster. In addition, lemon citric acid helps stimulate and detoxify the liver. Mix half or one lemon juice in a glass of warm water and drink in the morning.
7. Broccoli: Broccoli is an excellent source of isothiocyanates, and sulfur-containing compounds, the most notable being sulforaphane. These help in flushing out carcinogens and improving metabolism. Furthermore, it also has anti-inflammatory properties. A survey conducted by the College of Agriculture, University of Illinois, has found that consuming broccoli can help safeguard from liver cancer. Include 1 cup, 2-3 times per week.
8. Leafy vegetables: Leafy vegetables alleviate the effects of chemicals and pesticides on our bodies. They also stimulate the liver by making it produce a purifying liquid. Veggies such as collard greens, spinach, lettuce, radish greens, mustard greens, sweet potato greens, rocket, etc. contain a good amount of vitamins A, C, and K, calcium, antioxidants, and anti-inflammatory properties. Research confirmed that consuming leafy greens can help protect this organ from fatty liver and CVD. Accordingly, take 1-2 cups of green leafy veggies per day.
9. Cruciferous Vegetables: In addition to their richness in minerals and vitamins, the crucifers (cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, etc) can stimulate digestion, which reduces the work of the liver and reduces the storage of toxins. Including 1-2 cups of veggies, a day is beneficial for a healthy liver.
10. Beetroot: Betalains, an antioxidant present in beetroot. The researchers from the Department of Pharmaceutical Biochemistry, University of Medical Sciences, Poland have confirmed that long-term intake of beetroot juice can help reduce DNA damage and liver injury induced by carcinogens. Take a glass of beetroot juice per day or 1 cup of beetroot, 2-3 times a week.