The growth and death of cells are a constant occurrence in our bodies. The skin cells in the scalp areas also develop and turn into dry and dead ones after a certain period. The appearance of the new cells drives the old cells, which leads to flaking off the dry and lifeless skin cells. This flaking off the skin led to the accumulation of small white particles on the collar and shoulder areas of our dress, which is termed dandruff. There are plenty of home remedies of dandruff, which reduce the drying up of the scalp and white flaking cells. In recent decades, the problems related to it have risen because of pollution and changes in lifestyle. Individuals are experimenting with numerous cosmetic products which are affecting skin cells. Therefore, individuals should be careful in maintaining the health and hygiene of the scalp area.
Causes of Dandruff
Dandruff is mostly harmless, but it leads to embarrassment in the social circle. However, there are certain conditions where it occurs due to underlying health issues, which require immediate medical attention. It occurs irrespective of season, hairstyle, and other lifestyle factors. Some of the responses to the question “What are its causes?
1. Poor health of the scalp can be due to irregular oiling and shampooing of the hair. Layers of dirt and dust accumulate on the scalp areas and stick to the natural oils released by the glands. These enhance the rate of dry and dead skin cells on the head, and individuals suffer from excessive issues.
2. Skincare specialists have found the presence of Malassezia Globasa, yeast (fungi) on the average adult’s scalp. Scientifically, this fungus is the solution to the “What is the cause for dandruff?” problem faced by millions. Our immune system reacts to this fungus. As a result, dry skin cells flake off. However, this fungus doesn’t cause major harm to our immune system apart from dandruff issues.
3. In the majority of individuals, these issues start after hitting puberty. Many hormonal changes are common during and after the puberty period in the person. Rapid changes in the body parts and secretions initiate the excessive development of the white flakes on the skin.
4. The type of skin is the basic cause of its formation. There are different types depending upon the skin type of the individual. Different home remedies of dandruff are based on the skin type and the care routine followed by the person.
5. Reactions to various cosmetic products and pollution also led to excessive development. Natural dandruff remedies at home don’t offer side effects, but artificial alternative degrades the skin cells.
Types of Dandruff
One may refer to dandruff as just dry skin peels from the scalp; however, there are diverse types. These are mostly based on the scalp type and other lifestyle choices of the individual. The underlying causes of its occurrence should be diagnosed and then treated to get the best result. Consult hair care specialists to identify the type and the causes behind it. Some of the types that individuals face mostly are:
1. Dry Dandruff- This is the most common problem faced by millions, and it mostly occurs in winter months or cold regions. The skin in the scalp area dries out, which leads to irritation, itching, and peeling flakes. Dry dandruff remedies at home are applying coconut oil or moisturizing shampoo.
2. Oily Dandruff- Sebum glands are located just below the skin layer, which produces oil and keeps the skin moisturized and healthy. However, excessive secretion of oil can also lead to its formation on the scalp. These are sticky and are slightly yellowish in color. Moreover, clumps of dandruff can also accumulate on the scalp, removing which can hurt. Home remedies of dandruff of oily type are washing the scalp to prevent the buildup of layers of it.
3. Fungus Dandruff- Malassezia is a type of fungus which grows on the scalp if proper hygiene is not maintained. Thus fungus leads to its formation and irritates. Tea tree oil is the best option for reducing the growth of this fungus on the scalp.
4. Disease-Related Dandruff- Many diseases lead to the formation of excessive dandruff on the scalp. Eczema, seborrheic dermatitis, psoriasis, etc., are some of the diseases which require a doctor’s consultation and treatment.
“How to get rid of dandruff?” is the most common question people ask after they notice the flaking of white dead cells. At the initial level, most of us try dandruff remedies at home; however, if the growth continues, doctor consultation is a must. Moreover, excessive dandruff can also affect the facial skin. White spots ad pimples also gain momentum on the skin of the individual. Some of the ways to reduce it are as enumerated:
1. Using tea tree oil nourishes the scalp as well as offers anti-fungal properties. Massaging this oil for 15 minutes twice a week can help.
2. Hair care specialists suggest aspirin to control it. The presence of salicylic acid exfoliates the accumulation of dead skin cells and dirt on the scalp.
3. Home Remedies of Dandruff include the use of aloe vera to soothe the irritated and dry scalp of the individuals. Aloe Vera, curd, egg white, etc., are blended and applied as a mask to improve the skin cells on the scalp.
4. Apple cider vinegar is a solution for “How to remove hair dandruff.” The acidic and disinfectant property of this prevents the growth of fungus and bacteria on the scalp. However, one should dilute the apple cider vinegar and use it to control its acidic properties.
5. Neem leaves can be blended into a paste and applied to reduce itchiness and irritation of the scalp.
6. Henna is the ancient form of treatment for greying hair and dandruff. This cools the scalp and restores the secretion of the right amount of oil by the sebaceous glands.