Individuals should always check their intake of protein to strengthen the growth and development of their bodies. Our ecosystem offers us a large variety of non-vegetarian dishes to satisfy the need for protein content. Fish and other forms of seafood are options available to the consumers of the world. Harvesting and consuming fresh water and seafood is a part of ancient civilizations. Eating a fish is the primary food habit of those living near water bodies. Most of the population is aware and conscious of the benefits of fish eating. Moreover, the whole act of catching to preparing various fish dishes glorifies the family practices and traditions of the heritage. Furthermore, healthcare specialists also recommend adding fish to an individual’s regular diet.
Benefits of Fish Eating
Individuals should always prefer food items with more protein content and less fat content. However, the diet of individuals depends upon a lot of factors– age, lifestyle, medical conditions, etc. Teens and middle-aged individuals should consume fish to manage the need for minerals and protein in their bodies. Fish and other sea foods contain a bunch of nutrients; they are:
- Minerals: Eating a fish offers iron, zinc, calcium, phosphorus, iodine, magnesium, potassium, etc. The level of salts in the body manages the energy levels and prevents muscle cramping. Moreover, vascular and nervous system health also improves by balancing the electrolytes in the body through diet.
- Vitamins: Vitamin D and B2 are present in ample amounts in fish diets. This helps in the breaking of carbohydrates in our meals. Vitamin D is necessary for bone health, and B2 looks after the skin, blood cells, and energy levels.
- Omega-3 Fatty acids: This is one of the benefits of fish eating, as this is a miraculous component. It improves heart health- manages blood pressure, cares for the arteries, reduces triglycerides, checks abnormal heart rate, etc. EPA and DHA are the two major Omega-3 fatty acids present in fish. Our body doesn’t produce omega-3 of its own; therefore, we should include this in our choice of food. Oily and fatty fish are a wise choice in diet, as, unlike meat, there is no saturated fat content in them.
- Protein: Fish contains high amounts of amino acids; therefore, an excellent choice of protein. Eating a fish will help in the rejuvenation and growth of new cells and bodily structure. The nutrients present in fish protein are more compared to the plant protein alternative.
Health Benefits of Eating Fish
Fish is one of the most essential and healthiest food options available to mankind. Fish from the sea or fresh water should be in our diet for a minimum of two days. Some of the health benefits of fish eating are as enumerated:
- Eating fish health benefits mostly the overall functioning of the brain and the body. The nutrients in seafood improve the immune system of individuals; therefore, the chances of occurrence of many critical ailments decrease considerably.
- Heart attacks or strokes are the most common due to excessive stress and unhealthy food habits. Blockage in the vessels and chambers is also common due to excessive consumption of fat. Therefore, fish in the diet can manage and maintain the heart health of individuals.
- Pregnant or breastfeeding women should consume fish to restore and rejuvenate their bodies after the major changes. Moreover, children should also be made to consume fish to improve body and brain development.
- The decline of brain functions is common with age. However, a proper and healthy diet can stop the chances of serious neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s. The nutrient content of fish enhances the gray content of our brain- the functional tissues.
- Fish also acts as an anti-depressant and also offers a cure for bipolar disorders. Essential nutrients balance the release of hormones in the body, which are mood-boosters.
- The unhealthy lifestyle of individuals makes them prone to many auto-immune diseases. Fish helps in building up immunity; therefore, it saves us from the effect of various microorganisms and geographical diversities.
- Eating a fish also cures chronic inflammatory disorders like asthma in children.
- Muscular disorder is common with age, which also affects the vision of individuals. However, the chances of blindness and vision impairment reduce due to the consumption of fish.
Healthy Way to Cook Fish
Diverse cuisines offer us numerous fish dishes which can excite our taste buds. However, all are not healthy options for consuming fish for the overall benefit of our bodies. Eating a fish raw and uncooked can harm Individuals because of the chances of growth of microbes on it. Do not consume fish if it is overcooked or undercooked. Cooking methods also affect the amount of nutrient content in the food; therefore, one should be attentive to avoid wastage of the nutritional components of fish. There is a diverse variety of fish available in the global market, and their nutritional content varies from one another. Some of the healthy methods of cooking fish are:
- Grilling or broiling involves cooking the fish in dry heat without adding excess fat to the dish. The spices used in these methods enhance the eating fish health benefits.
- Poaching or steaming is the healthiest option, as fluids are used in the cooking process of the fish. Water, wine, stocks, milk, etc., are used while cooking the fish. Slow cooking in low temperatures is mainly preferred to retain most of the health benefits of fish eating.
Consumption of fish regularly can restore the memory and the cognitive spirit in individuals. Fish promised a lean body, healthy organs, and strong muscles to the consumers. Fish is considered a superfood due to its contribution to retaining a healthy body. The benefits of fish eating should be encouraged to reduce the consumption of red meat and other fatty-meat alternatives. Therefore, as suggested by the doctors, fish should be a primary addition to our planned and well-balanced diet.