Red wine has been part of ancient customs, traditions, and social events. Wine is an alcoholic drink that comes after the fermentation of grapevine. In recent days, fruit wines are also prepared using various berries and other fruits. However, the tradition and benefits of red wine for health are in no comparison with the latest additions. The period of fermentation of wine enhances the ethanol content in the wine and also the amount of resveratrol. Wine also maintains its religious importance in the lands where Christianity prevails. The country, year of manufacturing, and type of grapevine used for the preparation of this alcoholic drink are present on the bottle for the customers. Therefore, one can easily select the type and enjoy the benefits and taste of the drink. Red wine benefits for the skin are much in trend in the diet and cosmetic charts.
Constituents of Wine
Consuming plant-based food items gives us loads of nutrients and helps to prevent the development of many chronic diseases. The phytochemicals present in wine benefit the metabolism rate and are attributed to various other biological activities. Wine contains a large amount of organic-phenolic compounds, which vary in rate depending upon the vinification process. Moreover, depending upon the soil, weather, and type of grapevine, the constituent of polyphenols also varies. The benefits of red wine for health are because of these beneficial organic compounds like- anthocyanin, resveratrol, quercetin, proanthocyanidins, tannins, and flavonols.
Benefits of Red Wine
Consumption of alcoholic drinks in excessive amounts can always lead to serious health issues; however, drinking it at a limit offers certain health benefits. Wide varieties are available to the customers with varying wine benefits. Some of the benefits of red wine for health are:
- Red wine is packed with antioxidants; moreover, the darker the color of the grape higher the content of resveratrol and antioxidants. Thus, the chances of oxidative stress and chronic diseases reduce.
- The benefits of red wine also reduce the risk of coronary heart disease. However, the consumption of this drink should be in limited amounts; otherwise, it can boost blood pressure.
- The presence of prebiotics in red wine benefits gut health and boosts up the healthy gut bacteria present in the system.
- Drinking red wine also decreases the risk of cardio-metabolic rate; therefore, individuals with Type-2 diabetes should consume red wine in limited amounts. The ethanol content in wine is helpful in the metabolism of glucose levels in the blood.
- Excess to red wine regularly can lead to a sudden increase in blood pressure; however, limited consumption helps to reduce blood pressure and enhances good cholesterol. The procyanidins in wine ensure healthy blood vessels in the body.
- Eye issues caused due to age or diabetes can also be controlled and reduced by the consumption of red wine. Glaucoma, cataracts, diabetic retinopathy, etc., are conditions in which the patient can intake red wine in a measured amount.
- Wine also helps in stabilizing mental conditions and affects the central nervous system after a stroke.
- Drinking alcohol can lead to cancer; however, the rightful amount of red wine regularly presents cancer-causing conditions and also works like magic for cancer patients.
- Polyphenols offer neuroprotective effects; therefore can offer relief to dementia patients.
Red Wine Benefits for Skin
Red wine benefits for skin is because of the presence of antioxidants and polyphenols. It is the core ingredient in the skincare routine of individuals who are cautious about the health and glow of their skin. Skincare specialists believe that red wine offers magic to all the cosmetic products- lipsticks, car soaps, hair masks, etc. Moreover, salons use red wine in the facial and body massages of their customers. The color and the properties ensure that the individuals get maximum benefits out of it. Some of the red wine benefits for skin are as enumerated:
- Red wine offers wonder to the aging skin of individuals. Tannin and resveratrol in red wine contain anti-aging properties.
- They preserve and protect the collagen contents of the skin. We can restore the elasticity of the fibers of our skin by massaging and consuming red wine.
- Red wine also cures acne-prone skin because of its antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Wine-infused products of consumption of red wine in measured amounts reduce the acne outbreak on the skin.
- Red wine also adds radiance to the skin, as the dead skin cells are removed while massaging. Therefore, individuals retain their youthful glamour and elasticity of the face.
- Apart from the benefits to the skin, red wine also offers ample nutrients for our hair growth and volume.
- It helps repair every shaft of the hair and adds to the shine of the hair in general. It also enhances the blood supply to the scalp and reduces the formation of dry skin and dandruff.
What to Choose- Red or White?
The distinction between red and white color in wine is because of the use of the grape skin in the vinification process. The Resveratrol content depends upon the darker shades of color on the grapevines. Red wine contains more resveratrol than white or orange wine; therefore, red wine helps boost the immune system. White wine also contains healthy properties, but in pretty few amounts compared to red wine. However, there are distinctions in benefits of red wine also depending upon the fermentation time and quality of vineyards.
The resveratrol in red wine benefits in improving the state of brain health after stroke. Consuming red wine in a prescribed quantity relieves central nervous system injury. The anti-inflammatory properties, along with the lessening of oxidative stress, act for the betterment of mental health. It also helps to alter the level of lipid profile and reduces inflammation in the body parts. Therefore, the most important thing while consuming wine is its quantity and time. It is advised that healthy women can consume a single glass in a day, and men can consume up to two glasses a day.